If your Gmail account is of no use to you, then you have the option of deactivating it. In case you do not access your Gmail account for more than nine consecutive months, then it will be automatically deactivated. But if you manually want to disable your account, then you can do that too. You will just need to follow a simple process. Your account will be disabled with an immediate effect but it will take around two months for removal of all messages and records from Google’s servers.
It must be noted that disabling your Gmail account is not the same thing as deleting your Google account. A deletion of account results in removal of all services and data linked with Google account, and not just Gmail. You just need to follow these simple steps to get it done:
- Log into your Gmail account.
- Go to the Gear icon located in the top right corner.
- Click on Mail Settings and then select Accounts and Import.
- Go to the Change Account Settings section and click Other Google Account Settings.
- Go to theMy Products section, and click Edit.
- Select Disable Gmail.
That’s it. Your Gmail account will be disabled. For more information contact at Gmail customer support.